4/28/08

To Live on Purpose

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,
Did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
But made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant.

- Paul, in Philippians 2:5-6

Our speaker at church this weekend drove home this premise:

To know God is to love Him is to serve Him.

Paul and I were talking last night about the general state of our youth group. From what we've observed - the kids, for the most part, serve God because it's what we're doing at the time. They're not opposed to serving God, but they're also not crazy about it. There are the select few that head to the homeless shelter whenever the opportunity presents itself and are always clamoring to help more in other areas, but most of them have to be nudged a good bit. And some, with nudging, could still care less.

So maybe the serving isn't there cause the love isn't? And maybe the love isn't there cause the knowledge of God isn't? I guess our daily decisions always point back to our hearts. Our lives will tell a story of who God is and whom we are not. It's easy to say that the kids have some work to do, but I've got to be honest and say that I've got work to do. I need to know God more. I need to love Him more. And I need to serve Him more. At the end of the day, I want my life to have been lived with significance. And I want it to say that God is my everything.

No comments:

 

Our Simple Expressions | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates