The newest short film in the Dove “Real Beauty” campaign is live, and is absolutely stunning and breathtaking and powerful. Girls, please check it out. What subtle message are we receiving and sending to our daughters just by having the tv on?
Some important stats:
- The average person sees between 400 and 600 advertisements per day - equivalent to more than one message for every waking minute.
- The average US girl sees an estimated 77,546 commercials by the time she is 12.
The Dove Self-Esteem Fund/Seventeen Body Image Survey also revealed:
- 93 percent of girls and young women report feeling anxiety or stress about some aspect of their looks when getting ready in the morning
- more than 70 percent of girls and young women avoid activities when they feel bad about their looks including giving their opinion, attending school and even going to the doctor.
- 76 percent of girls and young women admit to partaking in unhealthy activities when they feel badly about their bodies
- 58 percent of girls describe themselves in negative terms, including words like “disgusting” and “ugly,” when feeling badly about themselves.
- Nearly four out of 10 engage in unhealthy eating behaviors, such as anorexia or bulimia.
- More than one out of 10 girls has used cutting or self-inflicted injury as a coping mechanism.