10/18/07

Pac Man


My dermatologist lobbed off Pac Man today. Pac Man used to be a tiny circular brown mole till it morphed into an 80's video game icon following the birth of my son. We are obviously praying that Pac Man had no trace of melanoma in his pellet diet:) I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I only mention this because I want to spread awareness about melanoma. It is the deadliest form of skin cancer and is completely preventable. Last month, I had another biopsy that revealed stage 2 melanoma. If the cancer was not caught it time, I would have had to say goodbye to my husband and kids at too early of an age. I am 32.

Melanoma can be identified with the help of an ABCD acrostic. A = asymmetry; B = border irregularity; C = color (the darker they are, the more concern there is); D = diameter (it shouldn't be larger than a pencil's eraser.) If you see any kind of change in your moles, please see a dermatologist immediately as a precaution.

Apparently, America is one of the least informed countries about this disease. We still frequent tanning beds, we scoff at SPF, and we think that tan is beautiful. I fell prey to ignorance. As a result, I will have scars everywhere and the lingering fear that one of my moles is quietly harboring cancer. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Pac Man, please be good to me.

No comments:

 

Our Simple Expressions | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates