5/14/09

Planting A Rainbow

One of my all time favorite things to do with the kids is to connect literature to life.

I adore reading quality children's literature to them and living it out
OR
just having fun with it.

Like reading

If You Give a Pig a Pancake - and whipping up syrupy pancakes
The Napping House - and taking a snooze
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed - and getting some good air
The Doorbell Rang - and making cookies to share
The Grouchy Ladybug - and painting rocks to look like ladybugs

Today we read Planting a Rainbow, by Lois Ehlert. Selah especially adored this book; Adden, not so much. But they both loved getting dirt underneath their fingernails and planting some seeds. Adden, well, he REALLY loved the dirt. Digging it, tasting it, throwing it up in the air. The child is in desperate need of a bath. We all are, but I diverge.

To be quite honest, I have my doubts that anything will grow. I'm not even sure why I attempted planting anything, knowing that I can't keep already vibrant plants alive. But for the kids' sake, I'm praying that something - anything - will sprout up. Even if it's just a weed, they're going to be psyched. And I will think that I'm a budding horticulturalist.

If you're a parent, what are some of your kids' favorite books?
And how have you linked literature to life?
I'm always on the prowl for good ideas. Thanks!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Read Stone Soup (there are many versions...), and then make stone soup! It's also a wonderful story for teaching about sharing / cooperation. We're doing a unit on this story in second grade this week.

Pete's a Pizza is really cute...you can pretend to make pizza out of the kids or make the real thing. :)

I can't think of any others at the moment, but I may comment again...Adelle's room (and thus her bookshelf) is closed for the night so my mind is blank lol.

Kristin said...

yay! thanks, ashley! i love stone soup. great idea. will have to revisit it with the kids.

and i have never heard of pete's pizza. can't wait to check it out of the library!

thanks again:) if you think of anymore, i am all ears.

 

Our Simple Expressions | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates